Our HELPline – here for you 24/7

If you’ve experienced sexual abuse or sexual assault, it can feel really hard to talk to anyone about what you’re feeling and what you’ve been through. We know that. But you can reach out to us. ​We are a phone call away and our service is free and confidential. Call us now on 0800 623 1700.

We provide a 24-hour HELPline service for:

  • Survivors of recent or historical assault and those disclosing abuse for the first time.
  • Survivors dealing with the long-term effects of sexual violence (like flashbacks, self-harm, or any other difficult feelings).
  • Anyone in the community who is concerned that someone else might be at risk of sexual abuse, or is supporting a survivor and needs help to do this well.

Don’t suffer in silence. Don’t go through this alone. We’re here. We understand. Call us now on 0800 623 1700 

24/7 police support

If you contact the Police to report sexual abuse or sexual assault, our Crisis Team will be notified and will be able to support you throughout the Police process. We can answer any questions you may have, which will help you understand the process so that you can make informed decisions. See our FAQS below to find out more about what happens if you make a complaint to the Police.

24/7 medical support

We can support you to access medical care including any medical examinations organised by the police.  We can also advise the best way to access these services that will help to check your physical wellbeing.

Note: If you’re experiencing any pain or physical symptoms relating to an assault, please consult with a doctor. If you feel it is an emergency, contact 111.

Face-to-face support

Our Crisis Team can assist with interim face-to-face sessions to help provide immediate support to survivors and their family after a recent assault. Early intervention can significantly decrease later trauma effects.

We will provide you with information and coping strategies while you decide on your next steps, whatever they may be. For some this means continued therapy at HELP or another provider. Others choose to do nothing at all. Whatever you decide, we’re here to help you in the meantime.

Ongoing support

We can provide or refer you to specialist counsellors and psychotherapists who can assist you. Our team can also help to refer you to other services that are best able to meet your cultural, gender or other needs – and if necessary, work with your existing counsellor or therapist to ensure your needs are met.

If your complaint goes to Court, we can also assist with support and information about – Justice Services


Call us anytime on 0800 623 1700 to speak with a qualified Crisis Support Worker. If you get the answerphone, please leave your name and a contact number. This is a confidential line that is checked continuously, and someone in our Crisis Team will return your call as soon as they are able.

If you decide to do this, you can either call or go into your local Police station. If it’s an emergency situation where you’re in immediate danger, or you have injuries that need immediate attention, call 111.

Initially the Police will want you to briefly outline what happened to you. They may suggest you need a forensic medical and help you to access this. They will discuss with you what will happen next and the processes around evidence.

Soon after, you may be asked to do a formal interview.  If you’re under 18, this is likely to be with specialist interviewers at Puawaitahi, the Police child protection agency.  If you are aged 18 or over, this is likely to be with a detective at a Police station, with a crisis support worker there to assist you.

For some, making this complaint can be a really important part of healing from what happened, and starting to feel safe again.

​There are specially trained Police officers who investigate these crimes, so they’re experienced at working with people who have gone through traumatic events. You can also ask to speak to a female officer if you’d prefer. 

However, if you choose not to report to the Police, we will still provide the help and support that you need as much as we’re able to.

Yes, when someone reports sexual assault to the Police, HELP is contacted and our Crisis Team can provide support and advocacy through this process. ​

Our team will explain processes and procedures and answer any questions you may have. Our Crisis Support Service will also provide follow-up support in the days and weeks afterwards.

Reporting to the Police doesn’t automatically mean that the person who hurt you will end up in Court.   Sexual abuse or assault crimes are often hard to prove because usually there are no other witnesses and the person who did it might say something different to your story.  There are many factors to consider, however, the police can guide you through this.

Evidence is a key factor for any case that is likely to go forward to the Courts.

​If there is a court case, HELP can provide a range of support and helpful information during this process through our Justice Services.

Reporting to the Police is an individual decision, however, sexual abuse and rape are crimes and you have a right to report to the Police.  We can support you through this.  If you have any concerns after you have reported, you can discuss these with our team or with the police.

You are able to make a complaint to the Police at any time after experiencing sexual abuse or rape so it is okay to speak to them later, even if you decided initially that you didn’t want to make a complaint.   

There is no time limit on when you report.  Some people have reported to the Police weeks, months, years or even decades after the incident happened. 

Following a sexual assault, it is a good idea to get specialist medical care. In Auckland, this is available at a special sexual health clinic in Greenlane for adults and in Grafton for children and young people.

Call us and we’ll help you access these services. We can also support you through the process, and you can bring a parent or friend with you for support too

There are two types of medical processes that might be needed…

1. Forensic medical exam
A forensic medical examination has two purposes — to attend to your physical wellbeing and to collect any forensic evidence that may be on your body as a result of the assault.

You’ll need to give your permission for this evidence to be handed over to the Police.

If you’re unsure whether you’ll go ahead with a complaint to Police at the time of the medical, you don’t have to make a decision. We can discuss your options with you.

2. Therapeutic medical exam
A therapeutic medical is all about your physical wellbeing. The doctor will not collect any evidence – they will just check for injuries or symptoms and provide any necessary medical care, including the Emergency Contraceptive Pill or antibiotics to stop any infections.

Generally this medical is carried out if you don’t want to go to the Police, and any time after an assault. However, if you change your mind, you can still make an official complaint about the assault later.

It’s important to remember that all of these services are optional. While it’s a good idea to talk to a doctor if you have any worries, you don’t have to use these services.

If you’re in the middle of the medical and wish to stop, skip a part of it or take a break, you can do so. You shouldn’t experience any pressure from the Police, doctors, nurses or your own support people to continue.

If you have a HELP counsellor with you, the counsellor can speak on your behalf – with you in control of what happens.

Under the Health & Disability Code (1996) you have a right to:

  • Services of an appropriate standard
  • Effective communication
  • Be fully informed
  • Support
  • Be treated with respect
  • Freedom from discrimination, coercion, harassment, and exploitation
  • Dignity and independence
  • Make an informed choice and give informed consent
  • Complain
  • Have an advocate

At HELP, we care about your rights and will act in accordance with this code. However, if you do have any concerns or complaints, let us know.

We also care about your needs and how we can best meet the needs of our diverse communities. If you have any cultural or other needs related to disability, religion, gender or sexual identity, please let us know.